James Clapper is a US American former Director of National Intelligence. During an interview with Chuck Todd, he made a statement that was seen as xenophobic by both Russians and non-Russians alike. In the interview, Chuck asked James "whether he knew about communications between Russians and White House senior adviser and President Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner". One of the things James said in his response was:
- I have to say that, without specifically affirming or confirming these conversations — since, even though they're in the public realm, they're still classified — just from a theoretical standpoint, I will tell you that my dashboard warning light was clearly on and I think that was the case with all of us in the intelligence community, very concerned about the nature of these approaches to the Russians.
- If you put that in context with everything else we knew the Russians were doing to interfere with the election, and just the historical practices of the Russians, who [are] typically, almost genetically driven to co-opt, penetrate, gain favor, whatever, which is a typical Russian technique. So we were concerned.
- Michael Sainato (30 May 2017). "James Clapper Tells NBC’s Chuck Todd That Russians Are 'Genetically Driven' to Co-opt". observer.com Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- "Ex-Intel head Clapper: Russians ‘almost genetically driven to co-opt & penetrate'". rt.com. 31 May 2017. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- Kailani Koenig (28 May 2017). "James Clapper on Trump-Russia Ties: 'My Dashboard Warning Light Was Clearly On'". nbcnews.com. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- Nina Spencer (30 May 2017). "Clapper: Russians are 'genetically driven' ... " twitter.com. Archived from the Original on 30 May 2017. Retrieved 3 November 2017.